The Stanley Hotel

I recently took a trip to a ghost hunt event in Colorado. I flew into Denver, drove past farmland and quaint towns that made me feel like time and "progress" had graciously skipped over the area, and wound my way through the twists and turns of a picturesque mountain drive. Just as I drove over the top of a hill and started the descent, I looked in the distance and saw my destination welcoming me to Estes Park, The Stanley Hotel. There can be no mistaking the red roof and crisp white walls set against the green mountain backdrop.
There are six American flags hanging from the front porch. The red, white, and blue of the flags were perfectly complimented by the red and white of the hotel and the blue sky. Every direction I looked was a photo opportunity. There was plenty of time for that, though. I needed to check in. Entering the hotel is like taking a step back in time. Guests are greeted with a beautiful staircase straight ahead, a Stanley Steamer to the right, a 1909 Otis elevator, and a fireplace on both sides of the room surrounded by plenty of furniture. It felt more like walking into a friend's home than a hotel.
I will admit, when I first walked into my room, I was a little shocked by how warm it was. A quick trip to the thermostat proved that it was about eighty degrees. Having lived in England for a short time, though, I understood that some places tend to keep their buildings warm in colder weather. Besides, it gave me an excellent reason to open the windows and enjoy the views and the fresh air. The design of the bedroom was simple, a bed, an armoire, two bedside tables and a desk and chair. To me the bathroom was a bit more impressive. The sink and shower fixtures had an antique feel to them as did the little toiletry bottles.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. If I had a question, they quickly answered it or found someone who could. When I could not connect to the wireless internet, they had an engineer at my door in less than 5 minutes. The staff at Steamers Cafe knew what sodas my mom and I wanted after just a couple of times ordering them.
Cascades offered a wide variety of foods. I was not brave enough to try any of the elk products, though. Sometimes I would just have french fries and a drink; other times, I would get a full meal. The filet mignon was very good and cooked just the way I ordered it. For dessert, I would suggest chocolate...either hot chocolate or a chocolate martini. Both were amazing.
Alas, the week-end came and went. It was time again to drive through the mountains, past the quaint towns, and across the farmland back to the airport. Staying at The Stanley Hotel was a wonderful experience and I will definitely go back.

Comments